APA Barwise Prize

On Monday, I was waiting for my opponent to show up for a university squash match, but since he was a bit late I thought I could check my email. You cannot imagine my surprise, delight, confusion and useful energy (to which I owe a 3-0) when I read that the American Philosophical Association had select me to receive the Barwise Prize “for significant and sustained contributions to areas relevant to philosophy and computing [...] in recognition of his research on the philosophy of information”.

I will receive the award during the APA’s Eastern Meeting in NY in December 2009, when I will deliver the Barwise Lecture.

Amazing.

Previous winners are:
2007, David Chalmers (Australian National University);
2006, James H. Moor (Dartmouth College);
2005, Hubert Dreyfus (UC Berkeley);
2004, Deborah Johnson (University of Virginia);
2003, Daniel Dennett (Tufts University);
2002, Patrick Suppes (Stanford University).

Humbling.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On the importance of being pedantic (series: notes to myself)

Mind the app - considerations on the ethical risks of COVID-19 apps

On being mansplained (series: notes to myself)

Call for expressions of interest: research position for a project on Digital Sovereignty and the Governance, Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications (GELSI) of digital innovation.

Il sapore della felicità condivisa

On the art of biting one's own tongue (series: notes to myself)

Gauss Professorship

The ethics of WikiLeaks

The fight for digital sovereignty: what it is, and why it matters, especially for the EU

ECAP 2008