On "howevering" (series: notes to myself)


"Howevering" is the second shoe dropping, for which you inevitably wait, successfully, in that suspended moment between a "yes..." and the almost inevitable "but...". Most people love to howeverise (as Kia says). Philosophers are masters in this. Colleagues and friends sometimes seem unable not to howeverise. Critics are addicted to howeverising. They all agree with you, but only howeverly. 

Howevering is a sleight of hand, which retracts what has just been conceded. "Of course, global warming is a life-threatening problem, however...". 

Howevering deflects the immediate confrontation of a disagreement, and this seems polite. I do not wish to say you are wrong, but I think you are, and so I dismiss the yes I just uttered to pacify you, to replace it with the however, and show you what the case really is. 

Howevering is a license to fill the gap with anything you wish. Once you start howevering, there is no end to the chain of clauses supported, or the meta-levels one may reach: 
  • A, however B, and C, and D... 
  • A, however B about A, however C about B about A...
I have seen people howevering each other, even without knowing it.

Howevering is more refined than "... but then what about x?". Shorter, faster, less obviously but equally topic-changing: "yes the current government is terrible, however, the previous government was not better".

Howevering is a very powerful tool in any conversation. It reminds me of another trick, the "not necessarily" reply. I cannot stand it. You can use that phrase to object to almost anything, because almost nothing is true necessarily. 
  • You: global warming is a life-threatening problem
  • Me: not necessarily. 
See, I just did it.

Like "not necessarily", "however"  should not be used lightly. It should be controlled judiciously. 

Beware of those who however too much and notnecessarilise too often. They are not debating, they are dismissing your point, just pretending to engage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the importance of being pedantic (series: notes to myself)

Mind the app - considerations on the ethical risks of COVID-19 apps

On being mansplained (series: notes to myself)

On the art of biting one's own tongue (series: notes to myself)

The ethics of WikiLeaks

Call for Papers for American Philosophical Quarterly’s special issue on The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence

On why publishing (series: notes to myself)

On the need to be exposed and the beginning of philosophy (series: notes to myself)

ERIH Journals project: a total failure so far