On not getting it (series: notes to myself)

"You are not getting it!" you shout in our mind, thinking in CAPITALS. 

And this is a fact. It's the reality. It's how the world is. You are right, and he... well, he is not getting it. End of the story. Nothing else to say. It has to happen sometimes. I mean, that you are right. And it does happen, sometimes, that you are right and he is not getting it. 

And so, this is the message you should send, simple and honest: "look, you are not getting it, let me tell you how it is ...". And then you try to explain it again. Perhaps slowly, or with different words. Because the plank in front of you is thick. Maybe an analogy (too many analogies, I know, I know...), "look, it's like when ...", or a metaphor, "look, imagine ...". 

But no. 

Coward. 

What you say instead is "sorry, I did not make myself clear". 

What? Not true! You didn't didn't! You did (do I need to explain?). You were as clear as the glass which that fly of an interlocutor keeps banging his head against, metaphorically, of course, not getting it. 

But it is easier to apologise for one's own fault. Makes the fly relax. 

So now you can point again in the right direction,
where the if-then should go,
what follows and why. 

And that white lie for the fly 
helps it to see how to get out of the bottle of its own mistakes, 
which is easy to enter and so difficult to escape.
   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the importance of being pedantic (series: notes to myself)

Mind the app - considerations on the ethical risks of COVID-19 apps

On being mansplained (series: notes to myself)

Call for expressions of interest: research position for a project on Digital Sovereignty and the Governance, Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications (GELSI) of digital innovation.

On the art of biting one's own tongue (series: notes to myself)

Il sapore della felicità condivisa

Gauss Professorship

The ethics of WikiLeaks

The fight for digital sovereignty: what it is, and why it matters, especially for the EU

ECAP 2008