Moving computer...

... is like moving house, a nightmare, often inevitable.

I had to buy a new laptop in Chicago, my old Dell having decided to stop working Heaven knows why. Full backup online ok (thanks Oxford/IBM!), so no panic. Ended up buying a Toshiba, excellent choice. What about the software? Well, this is the nightmarish bit. Nothing looks exactly the same in the new digital house, and hours are spent to put the old and the new furniture in the right places. One thing that helped was this nice list of the best freeware one may need. It is updated and highly reliable, at least as far as I can tell, and definitely worth checking. I ended up downloading more useful tools than I had in the old computer. Sometime changing environment helps.

Comments

  1. You should have tried Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mozilla Fire Fox!
    For the same reason you thank Oxford IBM. I know, level is different, but results were the same, you said:- no panic.(...) Nothing looks exactly the same in the new digital house, and hours are spent to put the old and the new furniture in the right places.-
    That's what happened to my Booklife Fujtsu after downloaded Firefox from ,
    www.philosophyofinformation.net ,
    other comments regarding this, are unusefull, you can image.

    xatstilo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On the importance of being pedantic (series: notes to myself)

Mind the app - considerations on the ethical risks of COVID-19 apps

On being mansplained (series: notes to myself)

On the art of biting one's own tongue (series: notes to myself)

The ethics of WikiLeaks

Call for Papers for American Philosophical Quarterly’s special issue on The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence

On why publishing (series: notes to myself)

On the need to be exposed and the beginning of philosophy (series: notes to myself)

ERIH Journals project: a total failure so far